EuroLinux 8.8 Beta Release Notes
This version’s code name is Sofia - the capital city of Bulgaria. The Beta version will allow us to provide EuroLinux 8.8 faster.
Major changes in EuroLinux 8.8 Beta:
Dynamic programming languages, Web and Database servers
New versions of the following components are now available:
- New: Python 3.11 - available as regular RPM packages
- New: Nginx 1.22 - available as a module
- New: PostgreSQL 15 - available as a module
- New: Swig 4.1 - available as a module
- New: jaxb 4 - available as a module
The following components have been upgraded:
- Git 2.39.1
- Git LFS 3.2.0
Updated performance monitoring tools
The following performance monitoring tools have been updated in EuroLinux 8.8:
- PCP 5.3.7
- Grafana 7.5.15
EuroLinux 8.8 Beta is distributed with the kernel version 4.18.0-477.
Compilers and development tools
The following performance tools and debuggers have been updated in EuroLinux 8.8:
- Valgrind 3.19
- SystemTap 4.8
- Dyninst 12.1.0
- elfutils 0.188
The following compiler toolsets have been updated in EL 8.8:
- GCC Toolset 12
- LLVM Toolset 15.0.7
- Rust Toolset 1.66
- Go Toolset 1.19.4
The most crucial security changes include:
- The Libreswan IPsec implementation was rebased to version 4.9.
- Rsyslog TLS-encrypted logging now supports multiple CA files.
- The systemd-socket-proxyd service now runs in its own SELinux domain due to an update to the SELinux policy.
- The OpenSCAP security compliance utility was rebased to version 1.3.7.
- With the fapolicyd software framework, you can now filter the RPM database.
General updates and improvements
- Podman now supports events for auditing.
- The Container Tools packages have been updated.
- The Aardvark and Netavark network stack now supports custom DNS server selection.
- Podman Quadlet is now available as a Technology Preview.
- The container-tools:3.0 module stream has been deprecated.
- The CNI network stack has been deprecated.
Among the others, the following packages were added to
os repository for this
Multiple packages have names changed due to branding, including:
- redhat-backgrounds -> el-backgrounds
- redhat-indexhtml -> el-indexhtml
- redhat-logos -> el-logos
- redhat-logos-httpd -> el-logos-httpd
- redhat-logos-ipa -> el-logos-ipa
- redhat-release -> el-release
- redhat-release-eula -> el-release - we include EULA in release package
All these packages have proper RPM
The list of the packages that are changed due to branding includes, among others:
The following packages were removed:
- rhc and related packages
- insights-client and related packages
Batteries repository contains packages that are needed to rebuild the distribution but are not included in any upstream repositories. Right now, this repository includes more than 3000 packages for each buildroot.
About 150 packages were updated for x86_64 buildroot alone. We also added some of the packages (like python3.11 for i686) to the publicly available open buildroots.
- Due to compose error LibreOffice is available in the older version than one available in the RHEL 8.8 beta. The new version will land in main repos shortly.
Gaia build system
We are currently using Gaia 3.0 beta.
- Download EuroLinux ISO
- EuroLinux Public Request for Change and Bug Tracker
- Red Hat 8.8 beta Release Notes (parts of our release notes are loosely based on this document).