EuroLinux 8.7 Release Notes
This version’s code name is Brussels - the capital city of Belgium and the heart of European Union.
Dynamic programming languages, Web and Database servers
New versions of the following components are now available:
- New: Ruby 3.1 - module
- New: Mercurial 6.2 - module
- New: Node.js 18 - module
- Redis 6 - module
redis:6was updated from version 6.0 to 6.2.7
The following compiler toolsets have been updated in EL 8.6:
- New: GCC-Toolset-12 - toolset
- New: Dotnet 7.0 - Dotnet 7.0 packages
- Rust Toolset - module
rust-toolset:rhel8was updated to version 1.62.1 from 1.58.1
- LLVM Toolset - module
llvm-toolset:rhel8was updated to version 14.0.0 from 13.0.1
- Go Lang Toolset - module
go-toolset:rhel8that provides the Go Lang stack was updated to version 1.18.4 from 1.17.7
- Containers tools module
rhelwas heavily updated
- Containers tools module
4.0was heavily updated
Most of the security features are connected to rebased/updated versions of the packages. The most crucial security changes include:
- NSS no longer support RSA keys shorter than 1023 bits and won't work with such keys.
- Updated SCAP security guilde with new
- fapolicyd rebased to 1.1.3
General updates and improvements
Among the others, the following packages were updated and enhanced:
- QT5 toolchain and utilities were updated from 5.15.2 to 5.15.3
- Opencryptoki was updated to version 3.18.0 from 3.17.0
- Libva was updated to version 2.13.0 from 2.5.0
- Chrony was updated to version 4.2 from 4.1
- Unbound was updated to version 1.16.2 from 1.7.3
- Fapolicyd rebased to 1.1.3 from 1.1
- Mariadb-java-client rebased to version 2.7.1 from 2.2.5
- open-vm-tools rebased to 12.0.5 from 11.3.5
Among the others, the following packages were added to
os repository for this
- Multiple qt5-docs packages
- make-latest (currently make43)
- systemd-resolved (technology preview)
Multiple packages have names changed due to branding, including:
- redhat-backgrounds -> el-backgrounds
- redhat-indexhtml -> el-indexhtml
- redhat-logos -> el-logos
- redhat-logos-httpd -> el-logos-httpd
- redhat-logos-ipa -> el-logos-ipa
- redhat-release -> el-release
- redhat-release-eula -> el-release - we include EULA in release package
All these packages have proper RPM
The list of the packages that are changed due to branding includes, among the others:
The following packages were removed:
- rhc and related packages
- insights-client and related packages
New vault policy
With feedback from community we decided to add the
-last to the EuroLinux 8.6
vaulted versions that represents the last snapshot of the EuroLinux 8.6. More
about vault policy here.
Smaller base repositories
Until now we keeped all produced versions of the same package in base repositories. Upstream policy is to keep only selected versions and the rest in the vaults. It is reasonable as saves a internet bandwith, and put much less stress on the mirroring sites. From EuroLinux 8.7 we will aim to use upstream schema for packages.
Older packages are still available at EuroLinux Vault.
Installation from baseurl with .treeinfo
EuroLinux 8.7 is first release that officially supports the installation from URL leveraging .treeinfo files.
Batteries repository contains packages that are needed to rebuild the distribution but are not included in any upstream repositories. Right now, this repository includes more than 2500 packages for each buildroot.
About 30 packages were updated for x86_64 buildroot.
Gaia build system
Gaia build system is still in the 3.0 alpha.
- Download EuroLinux ISO, (secondary download link)
- EuroLinux Public Request for Change and Bug Tracker
- Red Hat 8.7 Release Notes parts of our release notes are loosely based on this document.